Windows 11 Android subsystem is updated to Android 12.1
Although not yet officially available in Spain, Windows 11 has the ability to install Android applications through the Amazon AppStore. At the moment, it is in a preliminary phase, although it is available in the operating system for those who want to try it (officially, only available in the United States, with applications from the Amazon AppStore).
The Windows Subsystem for Android landed with version 11 of the mobile operating system. However, it had quite a few limitations when using mobile apps on a desktop operating system like Windows 11. Therefore, Microsoft wanted to take advantage of the release of Android 12L (Android 12.1) to improve this integration.
Windows Subsystem for Android is updated with Android 12.1 and new integrations
Android 12.1 is characterized by introducing a large series of improvements that optimize the use of the operating system and its applications on portable and folding devices. So it was a good time for Microsoft to start testing the Android 12.1 update of the Android subsystem with the Insiders of the dev channel.
However, they have not only updated the Android version. In addition, they have introduced a large number of improvements. For example, Android applications will now be able to connect to devices on the same network as our computer, such as security cameras, speakers, smart plugs…
For its part, the microphone, location or camera usage icons will show which Android applications are using these devices. Additionally, notifications sent from these apps will display as Windows 11 notifications, and the title window will reflect the name of the app.
Among these improvements we find that Android applications will not restart when we wake the computer from modern sleep mode, so we can continue where we left off. Also, fixed many bugs with camera apps and the orientation they reflect will be the natural orientation of the device.
- The Windows Subsystem for Android has been updated to Android 12.1.
- In newer x64 versions of Windows 11, advanced networking is enabled by default.
- Updated Settings app for Windows Subsystem for Android: redesigned interface and added diagnostic data viewer.
- The Simpleperf tool now works with the Windows Subsystem for Android.
- The system tray now shows which Android apps are using the microphone and location.
- Improvements to Android app notifications, displaying them as Windows notifications.
- Reduced flickering when apps are restored from the minimized state.
- Apps won’t restart when the device wakes from modern sleep on newer versions.
- New video hardware decoding (VP8 and VP9).
- Fixes for on-screen keyboard apps.
- Fixes for full-screen and auto-hide Android apps in Windows taskbar.
- Updated Windows Subsystem for Android with Chromium Webview 100.
- Added support for Android NetworkLocationProvider with the addition of GpsLocationProvider.
- Improved overall stability, performance, and reliability.
- Instability with the camera on ARM devices.
- Instability when printing through Android apps.
- Some applications rendered at low resolution may display incorrectly.
- Some VPN apps may not work with advanced network usage.
- Some applications that were previously available may disappear, fail to start, or function incorrectly for various reasons.